Ayr Visitor Information
Welcome to Ayr, a charming town located in the Burdekin region of Queensland, Australia. With its rich history, vibrant culture, friendly locals, and stunning scenery, Ayr is a must-visit destination for anyone exploring this beautiful part of the world.
Ayr is situated approximately 88 kilometres south of Townsville, and is easily accessible by car or public transport. It is also conveniently located near several other popular tourist destinations, including Bowen, the Whitsunday Islands, and Magnetic Island.
Things to do
- Visit the Burdekin Theatre: This state-of-the-art performance venue hosts a wide variety of shows, concerts, and events throughout the year.
- Explore the Burdekin River: Take a leisurely stroll along the riverbank, or try your luck at fishing for barramundi and other species.
- Experience local history: Ayr has a rich history that is well-preserved at several museums and heritage sites, including the Ayr Nature Display and Burdekin Historical Society.
- Relax on the beach: Ayr is situated near some of Queensland's most beautiful beaches, including Alva Beach and Majors Creek.
- Try local cuisine: Ayr is famous for its delicious local produce, including mangoes, sugar cane, and seafood.
Ayr offers a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, and camping grounds. Whether you prefer luxury or simplicity, there is something for everyone in this charming town.
Ayr is a relatively small town, and most of its attractions are located within easy walking or cycling distance. However, for those who prefer to drive, there are several car rental companies available in the area. Alternatively, public transport is also available, with regular bus services operating throughout the town and surrounding areas.
Ayr is a delightful town that offers something for everyone. Whether you're interested in history, culture, nature, or simply relaxing on the beach, Ayr is a destination you won't want to miss. So why not come and experience all that this charming town has to offer for yourself?